Lotus Domino and Notes 8 Administrator Update to Release 8.5.3
Domino 8.5.x increases performance while at the same time reduces its demands on system resources, due to the support for additional 64 bit platforms and the reduction of I/O and CPU overhead for tasks such as the router, transaction logging, schedule, and design. Other new features are related to Notes clients, including some that reduce your administrative workload.
This course isn’t your typical upgrade course in that it doesn’t mechanically list all the improvements nor does it tell you how to upgrade to this latest version. For that type of information—a complete list of all the new features, system requirements, installation steps, and known problems for Notes/Domino 8.5.x—the best places to go are the Release Notes and the “What’s New in IBM Lotus Domino 8.5.3” section in Lotus Domino Administrator Help.
|Duur cursus:||0,5 dag|
|Kosten cursus:||Vraag offerte aan.|
|Kosten cursusmateriaal:||60,- euro per deelnemer, exclusief 21% BTW.|
|Maximaal aantal curisten:||6|
|Bijzonderheden:||Cursusmateriaal kan ook gebruikt worden als zelfstudie materiaal|
This course is designed for experienced Notes and Domino 8 administrators who plan to upgrade their environment to Notes/iNotes and Domino 8.5.3.
You will find this course especially rewarding if you have already installed a Domino 8.5.x server and a handful of Notes 8.5.x clients and have brought your questions to class.
If you are new to Notes and Domino, this is not the right course for you, as it assumes significant prior knowledge of Notes and Domino 8. You should, instead, participate in a series of Domino and Notes administration training courses. Follow this series of courses to master all aspects of the Domino 8.5.x server, Domino Administrator 8.5.x, and the administration of Lotus Notes clients.
After you complete this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the changes to Notes 8.5.3 platforms, installer packages, embedded Eclipse features, and startup sequence.
- Create Dynamic policies and use the three new views in Domino Administrator to manage them.
- Create Group documents that auto-populate its members with users who have Mail databases on a specified Domino Server.
- Overcome network delays and server outages by using Managed Mail Replicas.
- Describe file server-based roaming for Notes users and configure it using the new Roaming Settings policy document.
- Configure a Notes User ID Vault database to store Notes User ID files and use the vault to restore lost User IDs or forgotten passwords.
- Configure Notes Shared Login for Notes users who use Windows so they don’t need to remember their Notes User ID password.
- Reduce the footprint of databases, particularly user Mail files that contain duplicate attachments, by implementing Domino Attachment and Object Service.
- Run the Domino Configuration Tuner to compare a server’s settings with best practices rules and run the Corrupt Database Collection and Domino Diagnostic Probe tools.
Topic 1: Notes Client Upgrade
- Supported operating systems
- Notes Standard configuration startup sequence and time
- Notes Software and database design and ODS upgrade
- Embedded Sametime client in Notes
- Integrated IBM Lotus Quickr
- Integrated IBM Lotus Connections
- Notebook application
Topic 2: Policies
- Dynamic policy assignment
- Dynamic policy views
- Change to Assign Policy tool
- Auto-Populated Group members list
- Machine specific Policy settings
- Desktop Settings policy to control KeyView file format filters
- Mail-related policies
Topic 3: Replication
- Managed Mail Replicas
- Purge Interval Replication Control
Topic 4: Notes Roaming
- Roaming Settings policy
- File server roaming user preferences
- Replication Page
- Temporarily disable roaming
Topic 5: Notes User ID Vault
- Old and new mechanisms to recover from User ID problems
- Create a Notes User ID Vault database
- Exercise: Create a Notes User ID Vault
- Configure Security Settings document
- Upload User IDs to vault database
- Exercise: Upload User ID of existing users
- Download User ID from vault
- Forgotten password recovery
- Notes User ID Vault logging
Topic 6: Notes Shared Login for Windows
- Configure NSL
- How ID files are protected
- Caveats for NSL-protected Notes User ID files
- Integrated Windows Authentication for Eclipse
Topic 7: Domino Attachment and Object Service
- Pre-R8 attempts at database size reduction techniques
- Notes 8 database size reduction techniques
- Domino 8.5.x database size reduction techniques
- Enable DAOS
- Monitor settings and statistics
- Backup and restore
- Sync problems
- Return all files to documents as attachments
- Disable DAOS
- DAOS resources
- Full Text Search indexing
Topic 8: Domino Diagnostics and Configuration
- Domino Configuration Tuner
- Automatically run Corrupt Database Collection tool
- Domino Diagnostic Probe
- Debug_ThreadID debug variable enabled by default